This year has been amazing, messy, hard, and different. Following Liz Ryan at Human Workplace, I grew my flame. I learned the power of NO. I stepped out and did something different. I learned that 2018 was about change – more than I ever experienced before. And that’s OKAY.
Here’s what I learned:
- Saying NO (again) really is OKAY.
- I don’t always have to explain myself. (Even as I deleted all my explanations I was going to type out and equally justify each point in this post)
- My time is important to me and my family. I get to decide who and where I will give my time, talent, gifts, and energy away to.
- Mental health is real and self-care is important. Take a break. If you or a family member needs help, help.
- It’s OKAY to do what I am good at and not dwell on “areas of improvement”. Delegate those.
- Vision is important. Where are you going? Do the people you follow have vision. If not, get out.
- My career doesn’t define me.
- How I treat other people still matters.
- My family is important to me. Who is left for you when you are home, at night, when your job is over?
- I have the power to say yes, no, and set boundaries. #workingonit
- It’s OKAY to speak up for what is wrong and celebrate what is right.
- Leading is hard. Leading well can be worth it.
- I don’t have all the answers. I don’t know any person who does. If they do, they are lying and operating out of fear. Run from that.
I’m looking forward to 2019. I hope my list even lightly inspired you to setting up a great year or help process what happened the last 12 months.